Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chalkboard

I live in an old house, built in the 40s.  Like a lot of other houses in the neighborhood, it has a built in ironing board cupboard thingy.  It would cool if it wasn't in my kitchen with no electric outlet nearby.

When we bought the house, it was the same color as the kitchen walls with little shelves running lining it.  Some people suggested putting my spices there.  I wasn't a fan of the idea.  First, it's a good 5 feet from my main workspace.  Way too far to walk.  Second, I like things hidden away because I feel like spices hanging out in the kitchen looks a bit cluttered.  
I jumped on the chalkboard bandwagon that's going around right now.  I taped it off, put down newspapers, and spray painted the chalkboard on.  It took MAYBE 45 minutes.
I use it for all sorts of things.  Write catch phrases.  Write my menu for the week (because I seem to forget what I planned to make).  Keep a list of things that I need from the store.  My list isn't as fun as the Pottery Barn lists that seem to always have interesting things on them like lemons, crab legs, brie, or monogrammed martini glasses that make me wonder why kind of parties these people are throwing.  For me, I'm just cleaning and I'm all out of bleach for colors.
Also, there is a conveniently placed air vent that doesn't work, but is re-purposed for a fun place for neighbor kids to throw chalk. (Like those old floorboards with crumbling plaster?  Classy.)

Which results in several broken pieces of chalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...