Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Starting Process

Have you ever had one of those days that you want to do nothing and you want to do everything?  I had one of those days recently.  Reading books, lounging around, drinking coffee all sounded great.  But I couldn't relax.


I had so many house projects yelling at me, teasing me about how I never did anything, and most of those voices came from our kitchen.


I have a great kitchen, but it needs a little T.L.C.  Some of the stuff I could do myself, some of it can be done by John, and some I need several thousand dollars to do.

I know what I want, and it would be fabulous.  I know what I want because I have seen some great kitchens:  


Aren't those great kitchens?  Hats off to those creators!  Muy bien.  

Those kitchen redos have something in common, one or more of these words: decorator, contractor, architect.  My husband and I come from a long line of do-it-yourselfers, so I can guarantee that those are things that I will never pay for unless I build a house from scratch.  Our pride and our budget just can't take 'em.

So, I'm left to the time, money and efforts of John and myself.  Time and money aren't easy to come by over here, but sometimes that's not what I need most. The main thing is effort.  It's all about that moment when I finally do something.  

This particular day when I was feeling weird about the lurking projects and their creepy voices, I just needed to do something, anything.  That's when Effort showed up - just starting on one small task of laying baseboards - and the world seemed whole again!  Even Burlito wanted in on some of the action!


From now on: my goal is to remember that when I'm feeling lazy, a little effort can go along way.  Effort not only gets one job done, but it fuels my desire to do more, to keep going, and enjoy the process.

.....................................................................................................................................

Stay tuned for "afters."  I've got a lot of stuff in the works!

4 comments:

  1. "Lurv" the new header and can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg!

    I am loving your blog! It has been a hairy week around here and ater reading your comment, wanted to pop over and say "Hello." I have been browsing for the past 20 minutes!!! Thank you for allowing me to escape into your barefoot world for a few moments. It's like a mini vacation.;)))

    You, your family and your blog are absolutely charming! :)

    Blessings from your newest follower!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw.. I meant " after." I am awful at proof reading. :)

    And I forgot to mention... I am loving all of your paper goodies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting! I should win simply because I am posting a comment. Posting anything online scares me. However, my competitive drive is overtaking my fear. Winning is everything. Wildflower is my fav! Thanks for having a give-away. I am waiting for my victory notification with bated breath!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...