Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Encouraged To Enjoy

I'm having one of those slow mornings where I can't believe that I get to stay home and be a mom.  To an actual baby.  To Burl.

I'm relishing it all:  The poop that came after I put on a fresh diaper.  The tugging at my shorts while I make breakfast.  The comfort after tears.  The playing trucks while emptying the dishwasher.


That was the one that really got me this morning.  That was the moment that I thought to myself, "He's only little once.  He won't be "in my way" forever.  He won't be driving his truck across the dishwasher while I try to empty it.  Get the camera.  Remember this moment."


And I try.  I try to remember.  To enjoy.  To be slow.  To soak it up.  Here's what helps me:  When people talk about what remembering what it's like to have babies and how they enjoyed those little baby moments.  

For example, the Nester tries to get her boys to still play with Legos.
My neighbor tells me how lucky I am to have a baby.
I read things about how it changes.  How I go from bottles, to sippie cups, to sodas.  How the toys go from baby toys to big boy toys.  How looking back at the baby times, and it was really great!


And their joy and their remembering helps me have joy and helps me slow to remember.  

The "it goes by so fast" or the "enjoy it while you can" or the "next thing you know..." comments don't do me much good.  Those comments sound like they need a finger wagging in my face to go with them.  And, I for one, do not like finger-wagging comments.


So, let's all enjoy and talk about enjoying what we have to enjoy.  Because that is a great thing.  To enjoy what we have and share it with others.  

It makes the world go 'round.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy it...that is really what all those comments mean. Actually...they mean..."I wish I had it back". Even the poop, just so we can smell that new person smell, squeeze those chubby little legs, and play trucks one more time. No finger waggin', just trying to save all the newbies from our sense of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having one of those days too! My oldest turned 13 yesterday and my youngest is 18months and my hardest one yet but I keep reminding myself to enjoy every moment as they go so fast. Enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I feel the same way - so blessed to be doing exactly what I'm doing. Trying so hard to savor every second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you a right to enjoy every minute. Time goes so fast and it must just speed by with a little person. You should have a look at this lovely blog - similar thoughts as your own - http://gingerjumbles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely post. Enjoy every moment because time goes by so fast :) Glad you joined the party at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this post a lot! It actually made me smile and think of this post when my little dudes were crawling around in the kitchen while I was baking this afternoon. PS- You sure have a lot of white dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...