Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Adventures By Myself

I used to think that daydreaming was for losers.  For people who had nothing to do.  For people who sacrificed a perfectly good opportunity to clean for daydreaming.  

It wasn't until a few years ago that my harsh opinion of daydreaming changed.  Someone gave John and I some marriage-dating advice: when we're on dates, dream together.  He wasn't talking about night-night, wake up sweaty from that weird dream of falling forever.


He was talking about thinking of fun things that may or may not happen.  And I don't think he was telling me to dream of all my baseboards and trim being repainted.  Because that is a real dream of mine.  He talked about fun things.  Well, It's taken us a while, but John and I are really good at coming up with these wonderful dream adventures.  Some are very far out there and some of them have come true for us.  It's been fun.  Dreaming with John, thinking about things just for the fun of it, has helped me to do the same.


Last week, my mom watched the kids for a little bit because I was suppose to meet someone.  It fell through at the last minute, so I had free time on my hands.  I ran one errand, then I went to dream by myself.  I read.  I thought.  I took some pictures. I sat there by myself for just under an hour.


And it was great.  At first it was almost weird and awkward.  I was tucked into a secret part of a sculpture garden in the best-kept-secret-district turned tourist spot.  By myself.  I enjoyed a drink.  Read a little.  And sat there.  At time passed, it got easier.  My mind started to wonder to good places.  I started to think about things:

Good things.  
Adventure things.
Personal things.
Parenting things.
Marriage things.
Family things.
Fun things.


And as I walked back to my car to drive home, I felt refreshed.  It was like that good deep breath after coming out of being underwater for a while.  Like taking a bite of ice cream after that 30-day cleanse.  {Like I've ever done a cleanse...}  Like that big glass of water when I get back from my run.  Ah.  The good stuff.  And I might be returning to that spot again for some dream time.  Because even this extrovert needs a little solitude {but just a little}.  Hi.  My name is Meg, and I am a Daydream Believer.

1 comment:

  1. One of the essential ingredients of being a great wife and a great mom is to remember how to be a great YOU. Remembering who you are and what you stand for isn't selfish, it's the best gift you can give your family. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...