Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Celebrating A Simple Life

"It's no small thing to celebrate a simple life."  That's the quote {or something like that} from Fellowship of the Rings when talking about a birthday.  I couldn't agree more.  Birthdays are a lot of fun for me.  I know this because I see it in myself and because I just took a personality test that told me I am the guardian of birthdays, holidays, and traditions.  



Recently, our friend turned 40 and his wife threw him a fun dinner.  Close friends gathered.  It was catered.  She turned her house into something grand.


As we were eating dessert, she turned the conversation towards her husband.  She asked for stories and thoughts about him.  We had some laughs and some sweet memories.  Towards the end, he ended up talking and saying somethings and it was really good.


He talked about not knowing where your life is going.  Being from New Zealand, he never expected to marry a girl from Tennessee and live in the US and have all of us as friends.  What a wild adventure to live!  I can not fathom creating a whole new life in a whole new country, but then again, I could not have fathomed my life here and how it has evolved.  


And it deserves to be celebrated.  This life of his.  This life of mine.  This life.  Whether I'm throwing a big party or lighting a candle for a low-key dinner at home, I want to celebrate.  I want to live.  I want to put life and celebrating and fun and meaning into my days, no matter how grand or simple they may be.  

2 comments:

  1. You're preaching to the choir here, honey! That's the whole "Use the Good Dishes!" philosophy right there!

    (Love your new header photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to celebrate my life (and my little families' lives) too. What a beautiful reminder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...