Thursday, August 21, 2014

High School Mixed CDs

Dear all high school students, past/present/future, there is no other music as good as the music you discover(ed) in high school. Due to the time of year and the back to school everything, I'm feeling nostalgic for my music. Instead of listening for my songs to come on the radio and dashing to the tape player to hit PLAY and RECORD, I simply browsed my iTunes Library. I wanted a quick mixed CD, but ended up with too much to fit on just one. I divided into guys and girls: 


Dreams by The Cranberries
Linger by The Cranberries
Cowboy Take Me Away by Dixie Chicks
Wide Open Spaces by Dixie Chicks
I'm the Only One by Melissa Etheridge
Come To My Window by Melissa Etheridge
Wonder by Natalie Merchant
Jealousy by Natalie Merchant
Sweet Surrender by Sarah McLachlan
Adia by Sarah McLachlan
My Favorite Mistake by Sheryl Crow
If It Makes You Happy by Sheryl Crow
Strong Enough by Sheryl Crow
Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
These Are The Days by 10,000 Maniacs

She Talks To Angels by The Black Crowes
No Rain by Blind Melon
Run-Around Blues Traveler
Round Here by Counting Crows
A Long December by Counting Crows
Hanginaround by Counting Crows
Mr. Jones by Counting Crows
Satellite by Dave Matthews Band
Hey Jealousy by Gin Blossoms
Wild Night by John Mellencamp
Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam
Jeremy by Pearl Jam
Black by Pearly Jam
Better Man by Pearl Jam
Daughter by Pearl Jam
Send Me On My Way by Rusted Root


If I had to pick one song as my high school anthem it would be These Are The Days by 10,000 Maniacs. It takes me back to senior year when I played it 49209885 times in a row; worked on end of the year projects (mainly, journal pages for English class); and felt like the world was mine. Class of '99!

1 comment:

  1. I knew I liked you for a reason! lol! Oddly enough, I graduated 9 years before you and MANY of those songs were my favorites in high school. I LOVED Melissa Etheridge and whenever one of my friends was having a bad day or boyfriend issues, we got in my car, blasted Melissa and sang along as we cruised around.

    Fast Car by Tracy Chapman came out when I was a junior in high school and seemed to sum up so much of what I was feeling! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...