Friday, September 28, 2018

Don't Craft With Kids

If you're looking for a post to encourage you to do crafts with your kids, then stop reading now and go somewhere else. If you're looking for a post to encourage you to never spend the money with kids' crafts again, then read on...


It all started by the kids seeing youtube videos in art class. They were shown videos called "5 minute crafts to do with elementary kids" and the title is full of lies. Truthfully, they're cute fun videos and somewhat entertaining to watch. 


School was cancelled yesterday due to flooding in the area, so I felt brave enough to go to the craft store and buy supplies. Before all the kids were even out of the car a lady approached me, "You homeschool, don't you?" Oh no ma'am, that is not in my design. But being at the craft store with more than one child during school hours does paint a picture...


The children were surprisingly easy in the store and I was surprisingly patient. We collected our supplies and headed home. The big kids emptied the dishwasher while I got everything in order. Playdo for Lark. Supplies for big kids. Ridge was on his own to make a big mess. 


The original project from youtube didn't work out, so we went to making magnets. This is surprisingly easy thing for kids to do in the real world. Paper, glass marble things with a flat back, magnets, glue gun, disappearing glue. That's the most I'm going to get into instructions. 



Burl made 20 for his class, Fern made a card for her teacher, I made a couple sets, Ridge made a mess, and Lark was cute. 


The pictures don't do it justice. The place was trashed. I spent sooooooo long cleaning up that I had to lie down afterwards. That's pretty par for the course for me these days. 


We were happy and buzzing together for about an hour and it was a fun time. I guess it wasn't a total bust. Everyone was happy until the bottom fell out of our hunger and everyone needed lunch five minutes ago. And the world kept on spinning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...