Monday, July 16, 2012

This 31st Birthday Of Mine

I'm coming off a pretty good weekend.  My birthday was Saturday, and like any other birthday, I scheduled a couple days of things that make me the happiest.  Here's the rundown.  


John asked me what I wanted for my birthday and here's what I said: a day swimming in blue holes with him, an external hard drive, a cool picture project for the house, and dinner with my family without the children.  That's basically what we did.  Friday he took a day off of work, which means a lot to me because he doesn't get many vacation days.  We dropped the kids off at his parents and went to Rainbow Lake.  


The last time we were there was about 9 years and 1 month ago.  That was when he proposed.  I remember going to Rainbow Lake several times while we were dating, but we haven't been back since.  

After an hour or two of hiking, we finally decided that we figured out where the spot was that he proposed.  It's the rock that we're standing on in the picture above.  I wasn't expecting to have that sweet memory, so I'm just giving birthday magic the credit for that one.  Sweet times.


Just like I always do, I got a little crazy in the woods.  It was early enough that there was a thin layer of mist on the trail, which is enough to have me making plans to hike there every single day.  It's too good not to.  Being outside like that is a slice of heaven in my mind, and it takes me about 3 minutes of hiking to be reminded of just how good it is for me to be there.  


There is something about walking down a path with dew coated branches brushing against me that makes me breath deeper and relax into every step that I take.  The feeling is somewhere between recharge and restart for me. 


Swinging bridges and chaco'd feet?  Yes please.  For at least 30 minutes, we kept asking ourselves why we don't do this more.  I started to think about those people who live at the beach.  Do you know people who are full time beachers?  I do.  They don't go to the beach much and it shocks me!  I try and figure out why they wouldn't go by to see the most grand and beautiful thing that covers this planet.  But, with all these mountains, trails, babbling brooks, someone could ask me the same thing about not going on little adventures.


Well, to those people, I would explain that there is no reason for at all.  I'm neglecting a big part of my need for creation and this weekend I made a little vow to myself.  To get out there.  More often.  Connect to the beauty that the Lord has created us to enjoy.  For those who crave mountains and trails and would throw their arms up at me because I don't get out there enough, I would say this: Sorry.  I understand now.  I'm going to change that.

After the trail, we grabbed some lunch, picked the kids up, headed home for a good, quiet afternoon of cat-napping and reading.


Friday night I went out.  I was invited to a sweet friend's baby shower.  Many of my friends were there, and it was just good, laid back fun.  I had arranged for a few of those friends to join me after the shower for a little girl-party time.  


With three of my friends, I enjoyed some night air under an outdoor ceiling fan, protected by a full screened-in porch.  Perfection.  We talked, we laughed, and we yawned big.  Staying up, talking until 1am, is no small feet for me.  I enjoyed every minute of it, but good heavens, we are lame.  And things are different these days.  I might say it's because I'm 31, but really I think that I go and do and play all day long, so when I stop and sit down, I just get sleepy.  


Yawns or no yawns, it was a great night and really fun for me.  I love the picture above of the feet.  I'm about the most casually-dressed person out of everyone I know and this picture is perfect evidence.  Plain feet and chacos?  That's my jam!  Painted nails and high sandals, that's my saucy friend.  


The next day was very laid back.  We had the whole morning to ourselves, playing with a new toy, being lazy, and living in PJ's.  


For lunch, we went to a local burrito place that gives free meals on your birthday.  We ran into James (Burl's best little buddy).  James' mom just had a birthday, but she missed it because she was busy giving birth to her daughter.  She came by to see if they would still honor her free birthday burrito, which they did.  It was such a treat to eat lunch with them.  


They even joined us for some creek time.  Right next to the burrito joint is a fun park with a cute little creek that has a little shade, a little sun, shallow water, and a few small boulders.  Creeks are the theme of our summer this year and this one was just perfect for some fun little birthday memories.


Burl's at a fun age of playing with a lot of expression.  He's a funny boy and what we call "rascally."  The faces he makes are so fun and I'm frequently catching a wide variety of them with me camera.  

Little Fern is just has happy as can be sitting on someone's hip.  She is totally content being in our arms and we bet that she could be there all day if our muscles would hold up.  We like to call her our little accessory, and we are known to pre-schedule who gets to hold her and for how long before we get to parties and such.


For dinner, my brothers and parents joined us at a new restaurant.  We left the kids home with a babysitter, and I got my family all to myself without my cute kids hogging the attention.  Not that I got a lot of attention nor a captive audience to many of my stories, but it's ok.  I got to focus all of my attention on listening to my rowdy brothers' stories and quotes of stand-up comedy routines.  I tried to tell them that they had to act interested in my stories since it was my birthday.  They didn't buy that line. In our little family, if you want to be the funny one, then you have to earn it.  That night, I gave up the fight and just laughed.


We all had a good laugh at my brother's little espresso.  They ragged me "for being that person" who took pictures inside, but that little mug in front of his arm is too funny.  I also played the birthday card and asked them to pose for a group shout.  Don't let those smiles fool you, I forced them to do this.  And they were less than eager to oblige.  


My smile was real.  I was happy.  I had a great birthday.  Part of the reason it was great is because inside I am full of joy.  This year has been the best year of my life.  I can honestly say that.  I've been doing a great deal of processing lately, so I've got some thoughts to share.  About this year.  About myself.  About this blog.  Hopefully, those things will be popping up in the week to come.  I'm ready to write.  I'm ready to share.  I'm ready for more.  31 really feels like the beginning, and what a great beginning it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...