Saturday, June 26, 2010

Just Call Me a Seamstress.

With 2 1/2 weeks of sewing under my belt, I'm getting more confident and taking on "projects" left and right.  

 Here are some navy linen pants that I bought after Burl was born.  I bought them a little bigger to help me transition back into my normal clothes.  (ie...I bought them a size bigger than I usually wear pre-baby.)  When they came in the mail, I tried them on and they were a little small in the waste, and WAY TOO long.  I set them aside to have them hemmed.  


That was 3 months ago and I just picked them up again to hem myself.  That involves a no-turning-back cutting off fabric and sewing them myself.  Success!



There was another problem...they were WAY TOO BIG.  What a great problem to have!  I successfully moved the button over quite a bit.  

I plan on wearing them to a wedding shower that I'm going to today.  Enter: my next project. That's right, the poor bride-to-be is getting her new uniform that every good wife should have.  

Last year, I told my husband that I wanted a cute apron for my birthday.  I remember telling him that I didn't want one with square edges.  I wanted something more feminine.  He got everything right.  It's in the picture above, but here it is on:

  

I love the curved edges, the ruffle, and the little pocket that is slanted to the side.  So, I took it to Deb (the gal who taught me to sew) and she loved it.  She made a pattern for it, and I used it to make this:


It's not AS ruffly on the bottom and I think it can look slimmer at the top, but all-in-all I like it.  It's in my favorite material, pink linen.  

Sometimes I got a bit frustrated and at one point, I think I told John that I wasn't going to sew ever again (after the machine broke & before my engineer of a husband fixed it).  I finished it and realized that I will never stop sewing.  It's a blast.

2 comments:

  1. I want to learn too! How do you do everything? You continue to amaze me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...