Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Ode To Barefoot Days

Today I drove 40 minutes to take Burl to a birthday party. He's plenty old enough to drop off and leave, but the commute didn't make sense for me to do it. He kept telling me that it was ok to drop him off and leave. I finally asked, "is it more fun when I'm not there?"

He was kind but honest in his reply, "Kinda yes and kinda no. You're not there to tell me 'stop Burl'." I get it. We can all remember what it was like to be out from under our parents. It wasn't like we wanted to do bad things, and it's not like Burl wants to do bad things (mostly). It was and is the freedom to be a little more child-like and uninhibited with their play without the watchful eye of a parent. 

(in need of more girls!)

A couple of Saturdays ago it was very warm and the kids had the best day ever. It was the kind of day where they ran from yard-to-yard, climbed trees, and were barefoot with friends. They had the kind of day that was a true gift-better than new underwear or scotch tape in their Christmas stockings. 

The end of the day was perfect too. We collected some neighbors and friends for dinner and made simple tacos with bags of chips. I made cookies as other people cleared the table and the adults ate too much cookie dough while we stood in the kitchen. After hours and hours outside, I found Ridge in the dark among the flashlights. He was lying on his stomach in the grass about to fall asleep. We finished the day off with a little Swiss Family Robinson in the den while the parents talked just a little bit longer...

My dreams are still coming true. 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...