Saturday, July 3, 2010

Whole Foods


Burl is learning all about whole foods.  Here he is in a lesson on salad making.



Wikipedia defines WHOLE FOODS as "foods that are unprocessed and unrefined, or processed and refined as little as possible before being consumed.  Whole foods typically do not contain added ingredients, such as sugar, salt, or fat."

I'm buying into the new school of thought that what we're eating in this country isn't really food. We're not eating the stuff that God made for us.  Vegetables, fruits, meat & dairy (from happy, healthy animals).  I think that other people are buying into the idea too, and I think it would be awesome if it catches on and spreads.

These books have been influential to my household:



Michael Pollan is a huge voice for the fight to eat whole foods again.  

A friend of mine, Annie, is a regular girl who is doing a way better job than me at eating whole foods.  You can read about her by clicking here.

Disclaimer:  I may be moving to the whole foods diet...but I still swing through a drive-thru once in a while.  NO whole foods come out of a drive-thru.

4 comments:

  1. I've been having the same mind-shift of late. I listening to In Defense of Food, have reserved the other, and am now enjoying Real Food by Nina Planck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading omnivores dilemma right now! it is a very great book, and eye opening. highly recommend it as well. I will have to check out the other book when i finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meg, my sister-in-law Laura Johnson forwarded me your blog. Love it! I loved Omnivore's Dilemma and have read Food Rules and am 3/4 of the way through In Defense of Food, too. Michael Pollan is fantastic. Have you seen Food, Inc.? If not, I highly recommend it. It should be required watching for all Americans.
    Mary O'Kelley

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...