Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Iron On

A few weeks ago, I think someone spiked my water or something because I went nuts during the kids' nap time.  I was cranking out the crafts, left and right.  I even updated my Facebook status: "Crafternoon.  Nothing in the house is safe."  That quickly became the case.  One of the projects/crafts that I started was ironing little shapes onto our regular clothes.  (I can never remember what this is called.  I always have to ask the craft store ladies for "that stuff that I use to iron to pieces of fabric together" and they always help me get what I want.)  


It started with this green shirt that I just bought.  I love a good tee and I love the color green, so I was sad when I got a little bleach spot on it.  See, I'm pointing at it in the picture below.  My solution was to try and put a cute little design over it to hide it.  I went to my cute shape default: a bird.  I had this image of birds fluttering up and around me on the shirt, so I cut out a bunch of birds.  I awkwardly tried to lean back while putting the birds on me to try to get the right positions all while looking in the mirror.  It was awkward to the max.  Thank goodness no one was around to see me.


I finally decided that one bird to cover the spot would be sufficient.  Well, and one bird on the bottom back would be for kicks (see first picture).  I ironed that sucker on there and stiched around the edges to secure it.  That night I did the ulitmate cool test and wore it to youth group.  The teenagers loved it.  When one girl gave the compliment and asked if I made it, I launched into the whole story of how I was going to try and make several birds flutter on the front, etc.  I think all she heard was blah, blah, blah.  I should have just said yes and thank you.  


Up next: an elephant shirt for Burl.  After he woke up from his nap, I put it on him and took him to the mirror.  Here's the other test: ask children what I made.  I asked Burl, "what's on your shirt?" and he gave a very excited and loud elephant sound.  Arm extended out for the trunk and a big sound.  Burl recognized it.  Winning.


He obviously thought the whole thing was pretty awesome.  Well, anytime he gets to make noises and be silly in front of the mirror is pretty awesome for him.  


Last but not least, Fern got a new little outfit.  This is actually one of Burl's old onesies that I found for her.  I cut out a little owl scene from some cute fabric scraps that I had and made her an embellished sleeper.  We call this one the jailbird sleeper.  My mom just calls it pitiful that "the wittle gurl has to wear da big brover clothes.  Oh, that's pitiful."  Word-for-word quote.  She doesn't have to wear it, really.  She has plenty of other ones.  But, now that I embellished it, it's definitely in her rotation.


There it is.  A few iron on projects from my crazy crafternoon.  Iron-on stuff (not the technical word, just what I call it) is one of my favorite things to craft with.  It's cheap, easy, and it helps me make the things I buy from the store just a little bit more whimsical.  And we all know that we could use a bit more whimsy in this world.

7 comments:

  1. i can actually hear your mom saying those exact words. just like that. ha!
    fern's is my favorite one. and i'm loving burl doing the elephant trunk with one arm while carefully maintaining the death grip on his hammers with the other

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crafts that lend themselves to a billion different interpretations. This one definitely does...it would work on dish towels, curtains, pennants, throw pillows as well as all the clothing options, as you are exploring. Goes up and down the age ranges too, as your youth groupers demonstrate. Super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those days when nothing in the house is safe! If only they came with a little more frequency. :)

    We did iron-on embellishments for my sister, who is expecting her first baby. It was so fun! I especially love the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ALL the goodies you created. This is such a great idea. I think I may spruce up some of my girls spring/summer clothes from last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey again, Meg! I wouldn't be surprised if you've already gotten the award, but I gave you the Liebster award today on my blog, so hopefully you don't mind a few extra hits this week. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appliques. That is what your very cute creations are. Nice work

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...