Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Labor Day 2011

Labor day was exactly what we needed.  A full day together.  Pure bliss.  There aren't many days that are completely blank of parties, errands, or obligations.  Monday was one of those days.  A blank canvas of a day for us to paint-sound a little cheesy-too bad.  It fits the day.  



After the busy (and fun) wedding weekend, we needed a day together.  It started with me waking up with a vision of pancakes, so pancakes we did make.  By "we," I mean Burl and me.  He helped me crack the egg.  He helped me dump the ingredients.  He helped me stir.  He got antsy when I had to take a turn stirring, and I remembered what it was like to cook with my parents.  They let me help, but every so often, they would need to stir the correct way-scraping the sides, getting down deep.  I remember that being more tortuous than waiting out adult swim, wondering, will I EVER GET MY TURN AGAIN???


He had his turn again.  He enjoyed himself.  He waited patiently for breakfast #2.  


We braved the rain-the first we'd seen in a month-and went for lunch.  Not just rain, but downpour.  It took us 3 different routes to get there, but we made it to my new favorite sub shop for lunch.  When we got home, before the nap, I sat Burl down for a picture in his rain jacket.  His too-cute-rain-jacket.  He's not sure about wearing long sleeves, but he rolled with it.  

There was a little bit of fussiness, so I did what every good, American parent would do.
I consoled him with a cookie.  


It did the trick.  Lunch. Cookie. Nap.


I pressed another cup of decaf, grabbed my book, and hit the den for some nice, rainy day reading.  Our den is a lot less stressful with it's recent face lift.  And coffee just taste great out of a lettered mug from Anthro.  


For dinner, we warmed ourselves up with the famous 5-bean chili.  Really, I could serve this once and week and John and Burl would probably love me more for it.  

....................................................................................

This was supposed to be more about what we did on Labor Day, not what we ate on Labor Day.  Oh well, sometimes those are the cutest times with Burl-watching him feed himself.  There is something so precious about it to me!  What joy.  What bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, gotta know ~ what's your new favorite sub shop? {I'm not letting good eats go uneaten by me!}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...