Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Season

There is something about putting up a Christmas tree that makes John and I starved for parties.  We really enjoy having people over for dinners, parties, casual drop-ins, quick hellos, and anything else all throughout the year.  But, put a Christmas tree in our living room and play some Christmas music and we go into overdrive.  


John wants to make Christmas cookies.
I host a cookie exchange every year.  
We always talk about a holiday party, but end up having several small dinner parties.


Instead of being overwhelmed by all the stuff we have going on, we are fueled by the magic of the season.  Yes, there's magic.  We can feel it.  And we become lean, mean, entertaining machines.  Quick preparations that leave the windows steamy are followed by immediate clean-up, and there we are again:  We settle into our routine.  


Almost every time, about 45 minutes before people are to arrive, panic knocks at my door.  It floods my mind with all the things that are yet to be done before our guests arrive.  It asks me why I'm having people over in the first place? 

Sometimes, I let panic come in.  John can sense it.  He steps in to remind me that my friends don't care if it's all done or not.  They just want to hang out.  And I remember that he's soooo right.


Other times, most times, I kick panic to the curb.  You ain't wanted here.
I prioritize.  I get it done.  I accomplish.


And with 15 minutes to spare, I'm walking around lighting candles, setting the music, and feeling jolly.  So jolly, that I might just be able to forgo the matches and just use my glow.


The magic is back.  John and I are fueled by the fun.
4 days, 3 small parties.  No problem.  We got this.


And you might see the picture below and think wow, "they must be pretty toasted."  You would be right.  We're toasted on Crimmas cheer, folks.  We give into the laughter and embrace it.  We laugh so hard that we don't know what made us laugh in the first place.


Cookie Exchange 20-1-1?  Success.  We got our cookie on.


I'm pretty sure that Christmas is not about parties or entertaining or friends.  But, it is about love.  Love coming down to earth.  For us, parties and entertaining and friends help us feel that love, know that love, and enjoy that love. 

Dig it.

2 comments:

  1. We love you...your parties...your welcoming home...your goofy little boy...your pretty girl.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...