Friday, April 13, 2012

Terrarium Fun

Recently, John and I read a NY Times article about terrariums.  They are becoming a high-priced ticket item and there are experts and people are making a lot of money making of sticking dirt, rocks, plants, and random objects in glass containers.  I'm not really sure what the exact definition is, but I have picked up on the theme.  



Naturally, I thought they were for rich people who were too good for potted plants.  That was until I read a post about them and how one mom let her sons make them out of random things from nature.  My mom-light bulb went off and I thought, "oh yes, this is going to be great fun for Burl and I to do while we're outside!"


I grabbed some random jars with small openings.  (I have a few of these that I've saved from buying applesauce, spaghetti sauce, jelly, etc.  Save those jars!  They have been so handy to have around!)  We dug for rocks, spooned in some potting soil, and hunted for moss.


I was the official digger, but Burl sure did try.  



Luckily, we have one of the five trees remaining that were here 6 years ago when we bought this house.  That tree creates enough shade for some nice, fresh moss to grow. 

Also, I added some monkey grass that seems to need no help of mine to grow and I found a wild fern growing in my flower bed.  Be still my heart, I could not believe that I found that gem growing in my dry, sunny front yard.  I got Burl's shovel and dug that sucker right up.


This was a fun activity to do with Burl.  Here were the benefits:

1. It was an outside activity.
If anything can become an outside activity, then Burl is locked in for the whole thing.
2. We had to go to the basement (where John keeps all his tools) to get the dirt, and this makes anything important in Burl's mind.  If it comes out of our nasty basement, Burl wants everything to do with it. Not only is it a chance to see the lawn mower and power drill, but he thinks that all-things-basement are awesome.
3. He got to dig up rocks with Mama, a favorite activity.
4. Burl can say moss.
5. Burl learned how to use his foot when shoveling.
6. Burl got to play in dirt.  The more opportunities that I can give him to get his hands in different textures, the better.  It means that he doesn't have to play with his food at dinner.
7.  I got to learn how to teach Burl a process.  I'm not sure how all moms are on this, but I'm still learning how to teach Burl to do things that requires attention to details.
Specifically: I'm working on how to give clear instructions without saying 1,000 words a minute; how to redirect and encourage instead of saying "no" constantly; how to relax when he doesn't get it right; and how to be more patient with him.  I feel like I am learning this with every activity that we do.
8. Even though he dumps one over and we have to start from scratch,
Mama breaks a jar while watering them.


If Burl's lucky, then he might get to have one in his room.  On the top shelf.  Where he can't reach them.  For now, they're in our living room and I think he's eyed them.  I wonder if he even remembers assembling them?  Well, he is only two years old!  

...Maybe by the time that he's 8, we'll be assembling some impressive terrariums.  
...Maybe we can have a digging birthday party and each of the guests can make one of these.  
...Maybe I can have my friends over and we can have a plant party and everyone makes one.
...Maybe these will quickly die and I realize that I have no business making one of these at all.
...or maybe this goes so well that I'll appear in the NY Times.


Either way it goes, I'm already declaring it a success: free, dirty, free, creative, free, cute, and FREE.

Terrariums, they're worth a go in my book, whether rich people pay hundreds for them or toddlers spend half an hour creating them. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Just read about these as well. Showed my kiddos some 'fancy' terrarium pics {some even filled with plastic dino toys} & we are planning on putting a few together this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...