Monday, June 18, 2012

This Week's Menu

There is a woman who lives in Belize in a three room house with no electricity.  She likes plants and finds joy in watching flowers grow.  She gets four bags of corn delivered to her everyday.  She processes them, and gets rid of the waste, reducing the bags to three.  Then, she ships them to her mother and family who live on a nearby island that has no produce at all.  

I met her last week when I was on a mission trip with the youth group at my church.  We talked for almost two hours, and it felt like I was with a friend getting coffee.  We are worlds apart, but so very similar.  

This week, when I write my menu, I think about her.  I think about what we eat and how I view food.  I'm constantly trying to get more whole foods in our rotation, but now I'm wanting to do so in an easy, simpler way.  Here's what we're eating this week:


Basil tomato linguini
Cream of asapragus soup and tomato-cheddar sandwiches
Turkey-avocado sandwiches and cantalope 
Cajun chicken pasta
Salmon, rice pilaf, and green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...