Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pleasure

Everyone has read, seen, or at least heard of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  Even though the book as a whole was just ok for me, there are a few quotes that really stick with me and I think about them from time to time.  

This week, as John and I have ended a couple of days falling asleep in front of the TV, I'm thinking about one in particular.  


"Americans are really good
at entertaining themselves
but not good at finding pleasure."

 (paraphrased)

TV is fun and I enjoy watching it but so many times we just turn it on and check out and I don't like it and I want it to change.  (how's that for a run-on sentence?)  I don't think I'm alone in this.  I've seen the glow of TVs fill so many homes at night, but not every home.  Now, I wonder, what are those other people, who don't watch TV doing?  Are they happier than I am?

The nights that we don't turn on the TV and read, talk, paint, do house projects are SO MUCH fun and they are SO MUCH better than the nights that we simply entertain ourselves.  Out of interest and out of inspiration, I would LOVE to hear what your family does at the end of everyday.

What is the routine in your home?  I would love some kind advice and suggestions.  (Tanya, I know you've got something for me...)

3 comments:

  1. I only watch one show on regular TV: Glee. I do watch several others on DVD, but it will be several episodes in a row usually one night as I'm home alone. While we (my roommate and I) do occasionally watch a movie on a weekend night, most nights of the week the TV is not on in our home at all, and we are both sitting around reading. And I LOVE it. We'll talk a bit, sometimes I'm crocheting instead, and sometimes he's studying instead, but most of the time we both have a book in our hands and it's pretty quiet and I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when it's warmer, we sit outside and play with the dogs. lately, we've been playing rummikub (when i make it past 8:00).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like a quiet night of games and music (classic country is always good for a laugh). While I love Scrabble, Doug refuses to play, but he will compromise with Quiddler. Five Crowns, Set and Uno are other favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...