Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Spontaneous Organization

Sometimes I plan to be productive.  Sometimes it just happens.  Most of the time my productivity is directly linked with the spontaneity that brought it on.  My closet has been chaotic for a while, and it just got straightened out.  Shoes got trimmed down by more than half what they were.  The real change came with my shirts though.  


I'm a t-shirt junky.  If I had to choose what to wear for the rest of my life, it would be a tee, jeans (shorts if it's warm enough) and flips.  To be specific, I would wear a white tee, jeans, and flips.  {More on that later.}  It's good for me to add color, so I wear other colors sometimes too.  And, I like to layer tees with long tanks.  It's how I roll.  A while ago, I finally had to get a system down.  


I separated my tanks and tees into two piles: white and those other colors.  It's helped me get ready.  It's helped me stay organized.  It's helped me do laundry.  However, the piles became rumpled and stacked too high with crumpled shirts that I never wore.  It was overwhelming.  I finally got around to tackling that project.


I was locked in my bathroom for a while and my hands were free.  I was stationary because I was pumping.  {Yep, I'm leaving that in here.} I was so antsy and bored and I thought, well, I could go through my shirts.  I thought, "I don't have time for that.  I'll just do the big stack of white tee's."  Well, I went through them, discarded the ones I didn't wear, refolded them, and they looked so beautiful.  Then, I had to fix all the folded tee's.  Then, the hanging shirts had to be sorted {tanks, soft shirts, blouses}.  Then, things didn't look right with the shoes all jumbled, so I sorted through those as well.  Next thing I knew, I had a well-organized closet and all I had to do was get antsy while I pumped a bottle during nap time, start working, and let a little progress encourage me to do more.  Bada-bing, bada-boom.  


It's all very exciting.  I even showed John when he got home from work, because that's how we are.  He organized his drawers a few weeks ago and talked about them for a couple of days.  We like cleaning out.  We like organization.  And it usually happens when we least expect it.  It's quirky and it feels so good.  If organizing and cleaning at the spur of the moment is wrong, then I don't want to be right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...