Monday, August 26, 2013

Our August 2013 Camping Trip

I remember having that deep craving for adventure when I was a child. Sometimes I got a fun adventure, but sometimes I lost the opportunity because of excuses. It will make a mess, we don't have time, or a simple not right now. Eventually, kids learn to not even ask. I do the same with my kids now. I give excuses because I don't want to go to the effort of making it happen, and sometimes I give them the actual reason that it can't happen. But, sometimes, the great times, I say Yes! to adventure. I might even be the author of the adventure. Those times are my favorite. Those times are the good times that stand taller in our memories. 

While I don't think we can be all dance parties, cave explores, and glitter crafts all the time, I so delight in giving the gift of excitement and adventure to John and to my children. I think that's why I loved working hard to pull off this weekend's camping trip. 








The highlights of this trip were: waking up in a tent with the babes, morning coffee outside, watching Burl and Fern make their own play and loving it (Pointing to cups, rocks, and dirt, Burl said, "Mama, this my toys."), late night talks by the fire with John, early morning hikes in PJs, swinging bridges, playgrounds, canoe trips with Burl, creekin', outdoorsy ease of style and curls that curl naturally, campsite snuggles, friendly neighbors to help with fire, and lots of exploring.





The low-lights of the trip were: fires that wouldn't catch, babies that have a hard time sleeping outside Ok, not to get all fluffy cloud, gushy happy here, but I really can't think of anymore lows from the trip. I had a list in my head, but I've forgotten all of them as I look at these pictures. I gush. It went pretty smoothly for the most part, and all the minor hiccups that happened were very minor. And I just absolutely loved it. I let go of any ideals and took everything as it came, and I give John's lead the credit for that one. We relaxed. We had fun. We enjoyed ourselves. I think it really was one of the most relaxing trips we've taken as a family.



That's what I'm loving about camping trips: there is so much that can go wrong that are out of my control. I have to let go of order and expectation, and slowly go through our time there. The stride is totally different than other trips, so I have to take it as it comes. I relax.


The campground is 20 minutes from my dad's farm, which is perfect for quick morning visits.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I mean, a great time was had!! Burl and Fern really loved the adventure. John was all about the camping trip. I relaxed deeply into the simple rhythm. Cooking, gathering, packing, organizing, then undoing it all when we get home was a lot of work. 


When I look back at the weekend and the work that went into it, the work is minimal compared to what the trip meant to us individually and to us as a family collectively. It was wonderful and I can't wait to go back and enjoy some time in the woods again.

2 comments:

  1. Great to read and see the glorious, memorable fun that the Lord gave you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...