Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Two Things My Dad Did

For all the crazy things my dad has done, he's done some pretty great things as well.  Recently, there were two things that he did that I thought were great and I feel like I should put them on my blog.  Lessons can be learned by both.  (For the record, my dad might have started crying by now.  If not now, then by now.  He gets that emotional side from me.  Crying yet, Dad?  Come on.  I know you are...)


First, my dad and I were talking the other day and he casually mentioned that he was taking a drawing class.  "Say what?!?" was my reaction.  I thought it was kind of funny to picture my dad, the chef, the farmer, taking a drawing class.  Apparently, he had been wanting to learn how to draw, so he found a guy who gives lessons and he's been trying it for a while.  

The lesson here is we're not too old to try something new.  My dad isn't old, but I don't know many 50-something year olds who are taking up drawing.  Also, drawing might not be something my dad, the chef, the farmer, would be into.  I never would have guessed that in a million years, and here he is: doing it.  When I told John about it in jest ("John, listen to what my dad is doing now...haha"), John didn't laugh.  He thought it was awesome that he was doing it.  And it is.
Look at his work (photograph on left, drawing on right): 


Dad, I have to say, I hope I'm brave enough and cool enough to try new things like this when I'm older.  Heck, I hope I'm that way NOW.  

Second thing my dad did was he called me to tell me how proud he was of me.  He does this often with my brothers and me and sometimes even John.  I accept it and thank him for it.  The boys sometimes think it's funny that he does that.  

Right before Christmas, my dad called me to tell me how proud he was of me.  He got a little tearful and said he just read my Christmas letter three times and "was just so impressed by me.  He was so damn proud of me and was so blessed just to have me as his daughter.  And John too, he is just a great husband and father."  I told him that the letter was suppose to be fun and make him laugh, and he replied, "yeah, I know, but I heard the love and commitment that you and John have to each other and to being good parents."  And that call, something was different about it.  It really made me feel good and I got a little tearful too.  (I can guarantee my dad can't even read this anymore because the tears are getting in the way, and I think that's cool.)

For me, it's easy to send someone a text, a facebook message, or write a letter, telling them something personal.  However, it's hard for me to just call or just say it outright to someone.  I can hide behind the computer or letters.  I want to be forthcoming with how people affect me.  It's a great way to be.  No, general "thank you's" or "I love you's." I want to say and express more than that.  


So, Dad, now that you're done crying and you made it through this post, I want you to know that I really thank you.  First, for trying drawing, but more, for being honest with me about how proud you are of me.  It makes me feel loved.  I'll tell you all this next time I see you, because that's how I roll now...Tom-style.  

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...