Monday, January 9, 2012

Our Eating Schedule

This post is kind of about one thing and two things.  Let's talk about food.  It's kind of a big deal.  Thank goodness God made it taste so good.  He keeps us eating it, which keeps us growing and living and enjoying it all.  Every week, I plan a menu and I post it on my blog.  There are usually only four things.  


We've got a little routine with our four things: a soup, a pasta, a meat and veggie combo, and something fun.  Usually.  However, there are 7 days in the week, so we eat much more than those 4 dinners.  Someone left a comment a while ago asking about there only being 4 things-"surely you eat more than 4 times a week" was what they said.  We do.


However, I only plan for four meals.  This is why: In my mind, Mondays through Thursdays are still school nights in my mind, and they still need routine.  My version of routine is a meal at home, and so I plan for that.

On the weekends, we live life differently.  We have parties, go to other people's houses etc.  It's all very up in the air and full of fun.  I can't plan for those until the weekend is upon and I get a text saying, "can you bring a salad to the cookout?"  And that's fun and we love it.  We spend a small amount of money going out to eat, which usually happens on the weekends as well.

I love eating out on Friday nights.  There is something inside of me that is still on school time, so when my internal clock from my high school days goes off, I'm getting excited.  Instead of driving away from school with the windows down and music going, we go out to eat.  Wild fun.  Wild.and.crazy.fun.

Sunday after church is a given for us.  We've been eating out with friends from church for years now.  I can count on my hand how many times this year that we've come home and eaten.  It just doesn't feel right to us.  We have a great community at our church, so why not carry it on to lunchtime!  


Then, we have those nights during the week that just come up.  Our planned menu item gets postponed til the week after or later.  Here's what can come up:

my dad calls and invites us to meet him for Mexican
my in-laws invite us to their house
we're exhausted and go for a $5 hot-n-ready pizza
we have a lot of leftovers and decide to finish those off
one of us won't be home for dinner, which lowers the standard for what we should be eating
or, like last week, my dinner club is meeting and I eat dinner there. 


That's where all these pictures are from.  The host is 1/4 Chinese, so she went for a Chinese New Year theme.  She really went all out with the decorations-including personalized note cards for each of us to use as recipe cards.  She's about 3 weeks away from her due date, so what else does she have to do?  I know the feeling.


Whether the meals are planned, random, alone, or with a big group of people, I hope that every bit is delicious and fresh and real and makes the world go round.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! I want to be part of a dinner club! :) That sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...