Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chop-Chop

{For a good laugh, picture this: I took all these pictures myself in the middle of making dinner.}

I use my knife and cutting board everyday...several times a day.  

Since my dad is a chef, I get all kinds of helpful tips on chopping.  I've picked up some on my own.  Here they are:



1.  Get a good knife.  {I think that the magic three knives to have are chefs, serreated, and paring knife.}  Right now, all I use is this one.  Under $30.  Best knife to date!!!

2. Put a damp towel under the cutting board to keep the board from moving around.



3. Put a bowl on the counter to discard the scrap pieces and peels.  This decreases trips to the trash and accidental pieces that fall on the floor. 
{I use the plastic bag that my produce came in.}



4.  Freeze all the end pieces of vegetable and fresh herbs.  When you make a broth or stock, pull them out and use them.  My dad said they just started doing this in his kitchen.  It cuts down on waste, and it makes THE BEST broth.



If you read this blog, and you have some other helpful tips, please, pass them along!!!

4 comments:

  1. These are some really great ideas! I love the idea of freezing the ends...never would have thought of it.

    (p.s. I'm coming out of the shadows - I've been enjoying your blog for a while now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the Chef Dad,
    I learn this tip from watching Julia Childs. When you are cutting never point your finger tips out, hold the fingertips back towards your palm. You hand will look an eagle's claw. The blade of the knife will rest against your knuckles and the cutting edge will never come above them. This will take practice. I can cut and look around at the same time. Remember losing your index finger isn't that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like using a silicone oven pad under my cutting board (also good when kids starting eating at the table to decrease sliding plates).

    I've love using scraps for broth. I cook whole chicks in the crockpot, debone and freeze/use broth, then recook bones with veggie pieces and water (back in crockpot).

    Think ahead and do all your chopping at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard onion skins have lots of vitamins and antioxidants but we always throw them in the trash! Using in broth is a great idea as the cold season approaches. Thanks for all the helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...