Friday, October 1, 2010

A Blank Canvas...

...Sounds a lot better than a blank wall.  Either way it's said, Burl's room has one.  I have a HUGE blank wall where his crib is, and I've been trying to figure out what to do with it. 

I'm the type of person who will wait to do something until I find just the right thing.  I use to think that was a cool thing about me, but now I don't think so.  I don't want things to be exactly perfect before I am willing to commit.  I want to just do things, try things, change things, and not be afraid of things.  So, I tried a little project.  
My requirements were:
1. It had to be cool and unique.
2. It couldn't cost much $$$$, because my budget was $.
3. It couldn't take a lot of time.
4. It had to be safe, ie couldn't come off the wall easily.

I just didn't know what I wanted to do.    Then I saw this

 And my wheels gotaturnin.

Hmmm...I love burlap, because 1. it's cheap, 2. it's original, 3. it's natural looking. Since I am in love with fabric and iron-on-stuff, I came up with making these:
Materials:
1. frames
2. burlap
3. different fabrics
4. card stock cutout of animals
5. artistic cousin to draw animal cutouts
6. Iron-on stuff {I've got to find out the official name}
Steps:
1. Cut out some cute fabric and iron-on stuff in small rectangles.  Do the first step of the iron on instructions.  (this makes the fabric heavier and easier to cut)
2. trace animals (or any shape) on the fabric and cut it out.
3. Cut out burlap rectangles that are the same size as the glass in the frame.
4. Iron on the cut out animal to the burlap (I used a lower heat setting...didn't know how the burlap would react to high heat
5. Frame 'em and arrange 'em on the floor however ya want.  
6. Hang them.  (the arrangement on the wall should match the arrangement on the floor...I forgot that part)
The wall isn't totally done, but it's close.     

2 comments:

  1. meeeeggg! cute cute animals, cute cute hair flower cute cute that you blogged about my letter. cutest cutest burl in a sink!
    see you tomorrow!
    Ab

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...