Wednesday, October 13, 2010

We're Being Selfish

John and I each have some hobbies, some individual interests.  Whatever you want to call it.  Sometimes, we have to be apart to do them, which is hard because our family time is so precious and rare.  

At first, I think that we thought that we couldn't entertain any of our own interests because it would mean that we had to sacrifice our family time.  Oh, how we love being together!



Somewhere along the way, we realized that the interests/dreams/desires wouldn't go away.  We  HAD to indulge ourselves.  Every few days, we get to do something extra fun with a dash of selfishness.  We've decided that it makes us happier.


For John, he's started to rock climb.  Broseph is an awesome climber, and now that he's living with us, John has had some great opportunities to go climb-indoors and outdoors.  He loves getting out there, pushing his limit, and having time with other guys.  The best part for him is that while he's climbing, he doesn't think about work at all.    The best part for me, is getting the post-climb John.  He's full of life and he's so happy.  And I'm happy for him.

He had the opportunity to climb on Sunday.  I could have got a babysitter and gone with him...I could have said "no" because it's Sunday, aka, family day.  But, I was SO HAPPY that he got to go.

That meant that I had Burl all day.  Usually if John's at work and I'm home with Burl, I think that I have to be productive and get stuff done.  When John's out doing something fun, I feel like I get a free pass to play.  {This is ridiculous that I think this way, and I'm trying to get over it.}
 

Nonetheless, Burl and I played.  We had a picnic.  Blanket, food, good weather, and my camera.  Hello awesome pictures:



Please, no comments on how Burl looks like a toddler, not a baby.  I'm in denial about it.

For my interests, I'm into all kinds of things.  I never thought I would ever say this, but I treasure alone time-specifically, having the house to myself.  It's getting rare and precious these days, but that's ok.  It makes those times even more special.  John took Burl to get his flu shot on Saturday, Broseph was climbing, and I had the house to myself.  The music was loud, I was dancing, and I almost blew out the speakers and my knees.  It went by pretty fast, but I was so glad to see them return.  That's all I needed.

My absolute favorite "me activity" is a fun Girls' Night.  In or out.  What is about getting with a bunch of girls that makes us laugh uncontrollably, be silly, and walk away with a few extra smile lines.



Of course, we had to make poses specific to the evening.  Want to know what they were about?  Sorry.  Had to be there.



We all showed our guns.  As you can see, everyone else displayed their cute, girly, hand guns.  I showed off my sniper rifle.  {Why?!?  So NOT cute, Meg.}



I don't know if this being-selfish-with-our-activities is the right way to think.  For now, it works for us.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you ever need an excuse to play... that's the best thing moms can do for their kids! Glad you guys are getting some personal time. I'm looking forward to mine next week when my oldest goes to stay with my parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you guys still take time for your own passions!! Looks like Burl's passion is chewing right now... just going by the first two pictures. What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...