Monday, November 22, 2010

Retail Rules

For the past 12 years, I have worked in retail, which means that I have worked the Thanksgiving holiday.  It's a blast.  The busier the better, in my book.  However, this year, I asked off...and I got it.  I'm not working this weekend.  Part of me is excited because I get to do some stuff that I normally miss out on, but part of me is sad because I'm going to miss out on all that retail action.


When I saw this picture, it reminded me of a home decor and linen store where I worked for several years.  I got to make displays like this one and talk about decorating and furniture and linens and it was a whole lotta fun. 

For the most part, I can say that the public is great.  I've had great customers wherever I've been-some of which have become friends.  I worked today and it was full of fun, happy, thankful customers and I had a blast.  Just like cars, we come across some lemons-people who need some ground rules, aka, manners.   When you're shopping this holiday season, please remember:

1. Return policies are required to be posted by the register or on your receipt, so take a minute to read them.  If you don't like the policy, then please don't get nasty to the employees.  They don't make the policies.
2. Accidents happen and sometimes HOLDS get returned to the sales floor.  Please don't yell.
3. Fitting rooms are for trying on clothes.  Nothing else.  {Oh, the stories...}
4. There are a lot of coupons out there.  Pay attention to the dates, the restrictions, and the items that are included.  We have to stick to those rules...we can't override them...no matter how angry you get at us.
5. We would be happy to throw away your food or drink.  You don't have to lay it just anywhere.
6. Eye contact, smiles, please and thank you go A VERY LONG WAY!!!  A funny joke does a wonders!!!  

*Disclaimer: sometimes sales associates aren't the best at customer service.  I hate when this happens, but that doesn't mean manners should be tossed out the window.  In fact, those employees probably need a smile and a "Have a Good Day" more than anyone.  

Please, please, please, be nice.  That would be awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Having worked in retail myself I can appreciate these words to remember. A little patience for others can go a long way. Hope you have a wonderful holiday! Glad to read you are off work and get to enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it great having the weekend off? I boycotted the computer and focused on enjoying the holiday with my friends... and decorating for Christmas. Love your blog, first time here. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my rosemary trees. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...